Tuesday, March 8, 2011


Just delivered the first commission work I've had in some time. Its actually a counter-height table for the kitchen for casual dining that also has several large shelves beneath the surface. The frame is welded square steel tubing, and the surfaces are 3/4" Baltic birch plywood with 3 coats of AFM SafeCoat Polyureseal BP, which is a low-VOC, low-odor water-based satin finish. If you get a chance to use this product, you will not be dissatisfied. I love it. I had been a huge fan of Danish oil, primarily for its simplicity of use; its easy to sand and buff to a finish that you want. I found the same, if not better results with the AFM product.

It has been nice to get back into welding and fabrication again also. This project was fairly involved regarding the layout and welding jig construction, and since I haven't tackled a project of this nature in some time, there was a significant amount of relearning of the best practices of fabrication welding. Obstacles notwithstanding, my client was very happy with the outcome and the project finished on a high note.

Talk to you soon.

No comments: